In a match that saw intense competition at both ends, Machhindra and TAFC settle for a goalless draw

The high-octane match saw plenty of excitement and bravado but few chances and no goals.

Prasun Sangroula

  • Read Time 2 min.

Kathmandu: With the presence of over 4,000 spectators, Dasharath Rangasala on Monday witnessed one of the most intense and happening games of the ongoing Martyr’s Memorial  ‘A’ Division league. The excited spectators screamed, hooted and booed, and the sound of horn instruments and drums reverberated in the stadium, adding more vibrancy to the footballing ambience. This, despite the fact that it was a weekday and the match ended in a goalless draw. 

Machhindra Football Club and Tribhuvan Army Football Club had played the decisive game in the last season of the league wherein Machhindra had lifted the title edging over the departmental team 1-0.

Monday’s match, played under the floodlight, ran at a strong pace, but both the teams could not create notable chances.

In the fifth minute, the match witnessed its first yellow card. Andres Nia of Machhindra was booked for a foul against Santosh Tamang.  

Both the clubs were equally dominating in the first half. But except for one by Machhindra, no notable chances were created. That rare chance came at the 26th minute of the match when Sunil Bal got close to goal as the ball was stuck in the goal line. He, however, could not utilize the ball, which was promptly cleared by Santosh Tamang.

Machhindra played a more physical match and perhaps a rougher one. Two players of TAFC were injured and had to leave the pitch.

The second half of the game was also almost similar to the first half. There was speed and verve at both ends of the goal but no notable chances would come.

Speaking at the post-match conference, Machhindra coach Prabesh Katuwal expressed dissatisfaction at his side’s performance.

“It was definitely a vital match but we could not play as per our expectation,” he said. “We do not have a proper striker, Bimal Gharti Magar is not fit, and as a result, we could not play well.”

TAFC coach Nabin Neupane was not a happy man at the post-match conference either. “We failed to acquire a very important point from today’s match,” he said. “Our players had a problem with attacking and finishing. We are regularly focusing on our finishing during the practice session but we are yet to see that translate into results.”